1903 East Orange General Hospital (EOGH) was founded in Newark as the Homeopathic Hospital of Essex County.
1926 The hospital was relocated to East Orange and was then renamed.
1931 The hospital opened its Outpatient Clinic.
1944 The first Candy Striper program in the country was started.
1953 The construction of the west wing was completed.
1970 The expansion and renovation of the entire hospital was completed.
1974 EOGH started its Behavioral Health Program, which has evolved to a full continuum of care including outpatient services, partial hospital, outpatient substance abuse services and Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Services (CAPS).
1980 The community-based Family Health Center opened providing primary and specialty care services to the community.
1987 The Essex Valley Medical Transportation Services (EVMTS) was launched to provide emergency ambulance service for the residents of East Orange and the surrounding communities.
1989 Community HealthCare of North Jersey and Care at Home both joined with EOGH, and Essex Valley Healthcare System was formed (the home care entities subsequently left the system several years later).
1992 The hospital completed a major renovation of the main entrance and lobby.
1998 The Medical Arts Building was completed arid provided essential office space for EOGH practicing physicians.
1998 EOGH opened its 29-bed Dialysis Center which is located in the Medical Arts Building.
2003 The hospital celebrated its 100th Anniversary of providing quality healthcare to the community.
2007 To better serve the growing needs of an expanding service area, EOGH acquired the former Kessler East Building and announced the official renaming of the building as the “East Pavilion” in June.

Back to About Us